Transition into College
Support with transition from school to college for learners with additional learning needs who have a Statement of Educational Need.
Cardiff and Vale College’s dedicated transition team can help you move from school into college. We understand that moving from school to college is an important time and that you may be anxious or nervous about moving on from school.
Our friendly team can;
- Offer advice and guidance on course choices in the college
- Attend your Annual Reviews to provide advice and guidance
- Help you make applications and support you through the admissions process
- Offer bespoke tours and coffee mornings at our campuses throughout the year
- Have a name contact who will be available to support you on your college journey
- Work with schools, parents, Career Wales to help share information
- Help produce or update a One Page Profile and a MyPlan
- Provide advice on financial support and student services
- Work with your parents/carers to support you.
- Help develop your personalised transition pathway plan
We want you to feel supported, safe and happy at Cardiff and Vale College to enable you to progress in all aspects of life and/or work.
Drop in support space for learners with additional learning needs, disabilities or mental health difficulties.
On our two main campuses (Cardiff, City Centre and Vale, Colcot Road) we have drop in ALN Hubs. Each Hub is staffed by a member of the Additional Learning Needs and Disability team who will be available Monday to Friday to help you with any queries.
You can access the Hub at any time during your time in college and is a safe space if you wish to discuss anything. Our friendly team can offer you advice and guidance and help support you with any problems you may have.
The Hub provides a quiet space for learners to;
- Have a quiet space to work or take a short break from lessons in our quiet area.
- Access advocacy and signposting support from the support team for things such as counselling, finance, careers and linking with parents and careers.
- Use our suite of laptops, iPads and PCs to do work and study
- Attended drop in sessions for out of class support
- Attend Assitive Technology sessions to help you become more independent.
- A safe space to get support and guidance to help promote your emotional wellbeing
Get in touch
How to get in touch with the support team.
If you would like further information regarding support, you can contact the team on;
02920 406526 if you are planning on studying in our Cardiff Campuses.
02920 908010 if you are planning on studying at our Vale campuses.
Support with Essential Skills (English/ Welsh, Maths and IT)
Cardiff and Vale College is committed to helping all our students improve their ‘essential skills’ in English/Welsh, Maths and IT. If you are studying a full-time course or on a Modern Apprenticeship you will have specific lessons and qualifications built into your course to further your skills in these subjects. If you are studying a part-time course, this will not be built into your course. However, you can access extra help by speaking to your Course Tutor.
Across the College we have drop-in Study and Skills Centres. These centres offer support with English/ Welsh or Maths to any student at any time. Any students can call into one of these centres for support. You may want to chat to a tutor about improving your Maths skills during the year. You may just want to have someone read your assignment and check the grammar with you before it is marked. Whatever your concern, you can pop in.
Support if English is not your first language
The College is committed to meeting the needs of all those who wish to learn with us. If English is not your first language you can study with us. If you have enough skills in English you may be able to start on any of our courses. We can offer additional help to improve your English alongside the course of your choice.
Some people need to improve their English before they can progress onto the course of their choice. In this case we offer ESOL courses – courses for speakers of other languages. On these courses we will help you improve your English speaking, reading and writing skills.