Cardiff and Vale College and St David’s Catholic Sixth Form College announce intention to form unique alliance for courses in the capital region
This week, Cardiff and Vale College and St David’s Catholic Sixth Form College announce their intention to work towards a unique strategic alliance to benefit learners across Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan. This alliance brings together the area’s two largest colleges to provide increased opportunities those studying from September 2012.
The alliance will see both institutions maintain their independent status and distinctiveness, whilst working together to jointly plan and provide increased opportunities for young people and adults. This will mean increased subjects available to study, more flexible study options at a wider range of venues and increased support systems for all learners. The alliance is part of both colleges’ commitment to the Welsh Government’s transformation agenda for post 16 education and training in Wales.
In a joint statement, Mike James, Principal of Cardiff and Vale College and Mark Leighfield, Principal of St David’s Catholic Sixth Form College said; “This partnership will provide many new opportunities for those wishing to study in the area. Both colleges have excellent reputations for teaching and our partnership will offer the highest standards of provision with inspirational teaching and learning for young people and adults across South East Wales. Our colleges each have their own distinct features, yet we share common goals and priorities to meet the needs of learners in the capital region - providing the environment, teaching and support needed for learners to reach their potential and achieve the highest standards.”
The benefits of the alliance will include:
- a greater choice of courses for learners to choose from – optimizing class sizes to allow for an increased range of subjects to be offered
- access to more facilities to support learning – with students from both colleges able to use and benefit from facilities at both Cardiff and Vale College and St David’s Catholic Sixth Form College
- increased support for all learners, with shared support services for learners in both colleges to further empower learners to progress through their learning into employment or further or higher education
- working closely with employers, partners and other key stakeholders to further opportunities for inspiring learners to progress to the best university places or employment
- sharing expertise to further develop excellent provision with sector-leading teaching, learning and resources
- widening participation in learning, increasing participation from under-represented groups
- jointly planning, developing and delivering AS/AL provision for the international market