Career Ready UK
‘Preparing young people for the world of work’
Career Ready is a UK wide charity linking employers with schools and colleges to open up the world of work to young people. Cardiff and Vale College offer this structured programme, guiding students from the ages 16-19 through a process allowing them to take part in masterclasses, a mentor scheme, internship offers and much more.
The objectives of the programme are simple:
- To increase employment chances for young people in the UK
- To increase the number of young people in the UK who are ready for the world of work
- To increase the number of sustainable education-business relationships, contributing to the delivery of high quality careers and employability work in education
‘Career Ready prepares you for everything in a way that other courses do not.’
Josh Milford | Career Ready student
Career Ready have had a huge success at Cardiff and Vale College throughout the years, with masterclasses held at the college, networking events and successful internships sourced for each student during the summer within leading businesses.
Here at Career Ready we look at building links with businesses to help support our students during their time on the programme. Businesses that have supported Career Ready at Cardiff and Vale College include:
• British Gas
• And many more…
Make a big difference to the lives of young people
Working with Cardiff and Vale college through supporting Career Ready will give you the chance to help students grow in confidence and gain essential skills for work, and so much more. Giving young people opportunity to develop and learn is all they need to be leaders in the future.
‘We’ve hosted more than 80 Career Ready interns and have recruited 36 of them to full time roles - six of whom are on apprenticeships. It has saved us over £180,000 on agency and recruitment fees – that’s about as real as it gets. Career Ready has given St James’s Place great access to talent and interns that have bags of enthusiasm and energy. I would recommend employers of any size get involved…the benefits far outweigh the small investment in time and effort.’
Rob Hawkins | St James's Place Wealth Management
Cardiff and Vale College have been working with Career Ready from 2009, and have had huge success working with employers to prepare young people for their future. You will be supported throughout the process and you will have an effective programme built to help support your experience of helping our students.
From local construction businesses to multi-national banks, we have a range and variety of businesses that work with us to help students. You will be helping to support young people who are currently enrolled on courses such as business, IT, finance, administration and construction to see their potential and start their future.
Whether you want to be a mentor to a student, host a tour of your workplace, give a masterclass at the college or provide a paid summer internship, there are a range of options available to suit your business and your employees.
Working with Career Ready Students can be a transformational experience both for them and for you. Start making a difference today and contact us.
‘Being part of the Career Ready programme, with my internship at Santander, and the support of my mentor Caroline, has completely transformed me.’
Danielle Halford | former Career Ready student
Cardiff & Vale College has been affiliated with Career Ready UK since 2009.
- Career Ready UK is a national charity that links education with business to prepare young people for the world of work.
- Through our partnership with Career Ready UK we provide a structured programme of internships, mentoring by employee volunteers, master classes and workplace visits.
- The aim of the programme is to give 16-19 year olds the work experience and skills they need to be able to perform more effectively in the wider world.
- Our Career Ready programme is part of a national network of more than 150 schools and colleges across the UK.
- So far we have had many students who have graduated from the Cardiff & Vale College Career Ready programme.
- Over 85% of Career Ready graduates nationally progress either to university - often the first in their family to do so - or directly into employment or work based learning such as apprenticeships or school leaver programmes.
- The Career Ready programme helps us to meet the latest Government and Ofsted standards for careers guidance – “Schools should provide sustained contacts with employers, mentors and coaches who can inspire pupils with a sense of what they can achieve and help them understand how to make this a reality”
We are always looking for more businesses and individuals to offer their support to Career Ready by:
- Becoming a mentor – either face-to-face mentoring or e-mentoring
- Joining our Local Advisory Board
- Delivering a master class to students on a particular topic, for example “Writing your CV” or “Effective networking”
- Offering a four to six week paid internship over the summer
Our Local Advisory Board
Tracy Bird – Career Ready Co-ordinator
Ben Cottam – Chair of LAB, Head of FSB Wales
Simon Page – Career Ready UK
Debbie Jones – Dean of Services to People
Fiona Tierney – Deputy HOD Business, Finance, IT & Professional Studies
Danielle Halford – Cardiff & Vale Career Ready
Andrea Morgans – HOD Business, Finance, IT & Professional Studies
Laura Mackenzie – Commercial, CAVC
Kate Banks– Local CEO South East Wales National Westminster Bank
Rebecca Davies – Relationship Director, Barclays Corporate Banking
Steve Pember – Head of Colleague Engagement and Insight, Lloyds Bank
David Pemberton - Senior Manager, Asset Finance Operations, Lloyds Banking Group
Grace Newbould – Project Manager, Royal Mail
Mark Bevan – Senior Commercial Manager, Turner & Townsend
Ian Edwards – Get Hired HQ
Donagh Kenny - Senior Relationship Manager, Allied Irish Bank (GB)
Megan Harrington – Former CAVC Career Ready Student
Becky James - Director of Director of Business Development & Sales – ILM (City & Guilds)
Andrew Evans – Geldard’s Law Firm
Steve Richards – Cardiff & West Community High School
Paul Mathias – Brewin Dolphin
Rebecca Falvey – Business in the Community
David Phillips – Tutor, CAVC