Financial Support for full-time HE students

Financial Support for full-time HE students

What's available?

For full-time students there is a range of financial support available to you while you are studying. These include grants and bursaries (which you don’t have to pay back) and loans (which you do). What support you’ll get depends on your circumstances, your course and where you are studying.

Key Facts

  • The majority of students won’t pay anything up front
  • Students studying their first HE course, who normally live in Wales can get a tuition fee loan up to a maximum of £4,296 and a non-repayable fee grant up to £4,954 to cover any remaining fees
  • Students do not have to pay anything back until they are in employment, earning over £21,000
  • Students can get a partial cancellation of up to £1,500 of their maintenance loan when they start repayment.

The table below summarizes the main types of support available to Welsh domiciled students in 2017-18. Full details of all financial support and how to apply can be found on the Student Finance Wales website

Students normally living in Wales will be able to apply for support online from March 2017 onwards.

Welsh domiciled students studying at CAVC -

Summary of Support available in 2017-18.


Support Available

New Students* and Continuing Students** 

Tuition Fee Grant

Up to £4,954

Tuition Fee Loan

Up to £4,296

Welsh Government Learning Grant (Maintenance)

Up to £5,161

Student Loan (Maintenance)

Up to £6,922 if living away from parents’ home.
£5,358 if living at parents’ home

*New students beginning their course in September 2017
**Continuing students who began their course on or after September 2012

Living outside Wales?

Students living outside Wales can find information on funding and application processes via the following links